Monday, April 9, 2012

Maternal and Puppies :)

I awoke from my deep slumber to the sound of two small squeaks. Thus, without hesitation I rose from my bed as fast as I could and an immediate smile greeted my face. My dog/daughter Amber has given birth to two of the most lovable puppies in the world. I patted Amber on the head as a sign of kudos to her successful delivery. Although I wish I was awake during the time of her first delivery to assist or comfort her in any way I can. To my excitement, I eagerly stretched my hand to touch one of the newborn pups but to my disappointment, Amber growled at me and she almost bit me. After that I was a little hesitant and kind of disappointed that she wouldn’t let me touch her liter. Still based on the books I read and with Amber’s maternal instincts kicking in, I knew that Amber was just being protective of her young ones and that behavior is natural and a given to any dog who just conceived.

A span of 30 minutes has passed and she delivered the 3rd puppy without a problem. I proceeded to make my early morning coffee as I waited for the next puppy. After another 20 minutes or so she delivered the last one. At that point Amber looked pretty worn down, so again I patted her head and I gave her some milk and she gulped the milk down like it was nothing. On a side note, as an advice to fellow first timers on dog births, only give calcium to a dog during active labor, it’s a proven fact that calcium helps the dog’s pushing efforts and of course this is based on research. After that I had to change the linens of her birthing box so all of them would be clean and comfy. Changing the linen box proved to be quite a handful. First off I couldn’t touch the puppies or I might get bitten and of course with the obvious fact that Amber does not want to be separated from her whelps even for just a second. Still I had no choice and I had to do it. So I grabbed Amber’s leash and I had to put her and I tied it my door know. She was pretty upset, hesitant and she wanted to go back to her pups in a heartbeat. I felt a little sick to my stomach and my heart dropped during that scenario. I suddenly missed and remember my mom and how I knew that like my Amber, she would do anything for her children and by that lesson I promise to do the same if I ever have children of my own in the future. Any who I was like “the flash” literally, I think I changed the linen and bedding in under a few seconds and I returned Amber to her pups asap. She immediately dashed, licked and smothered her pups, as a signal telling them that Mommy’s here and that everything would be okay which was really delightful sight to see.

I got to admit, I was pretty surprised and pleased with Amber’s actions considering that she’s a first time mom. She’s doing an awesome job of taking care of the puppies. She has a litter of four, three of which are females and a male. Also I am now able touch her pups without Amber trying to take a nip at me which to me was pretty heartwarming. It is now day 6 and so far so good. I am looking forward in seeing her pups grow and I can’t wait to cuddle and play with them. More updates soon enough.

P.S.

I would like to apologize to those peeps who are asking for puppies. I only have four and I plan on keeping one and even before Amber was preggy those pups were already on the reserve list. So let’s just see who gets lucky the next time Amber gets pregnant.

No comments: