Saturday, April 10, 2010

Street and Exotic Foods =)

Yum!

Having been away from home for the last 2 years, I have been craving badly for some of the most delicious street foods that I've missed. So every afternoon I wait outside for street vendors to sell me their best stuff. Alas to my dismay, days have passed and I haven't seen a street vendor that possess my foods of craving. Except for the occasional Halo-Halo and our so called dirty ice cream (it's not really dirty lol). Fishball and Kwek Kwek can't be found insight but I must have them =)

So, with frustration building up inside me, I had to take it to the next level and scout the food courts of the local mall in my area. Went to Market Market and to my dissapoinment, the stands outside did not possess this local delicacies. With hunger looming in my stomach, I asked another street vendor if she knows a place where these magical foods can be found, luckily she pointed out that these kinds of food can be obtained in the lower levels of the mall. With a smile on my face, I raced through the mentioned area and ordered the street foods that I have been longing for.

For those of you back at the U S of A and are unfamiliar with these kind of stuff I will try to explain these type of street foods as best as I can.

1. Kwek Kwek - is basically an egg (duck egg) which is covered in delicious colored flour (Orange).

2.One Day Old Chick - is a deep fried baby chicken (dont be freaked out by how it looks, it's very delicious.)

3. Fish Balls- (No, it is not fish testicles lol) it's fish meat mashed together which forms a little circular dough.

These are my top 3 street foods of all time, they also have varieties of dips: sweet, mild and for me the best one is the spicy vinegar with lots of onions and chili.


Exotic Food:

It has been a goal of mine to eat a bunch of exotic foods, but no opportunities has came up for me to sample them, then it happened. One of our neighbors bought a snake which was 6 kilos and had it cooked adobo style. At first I was hesitant to try it, but im glad I did, although boney, it tastes really really good, like a medium rare burger. Im looking forward to eating more street foods, and like what Andrew Zimmern said "If it looks good, eat it."

No comments: